Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hoot hoot for free books!

So I forgot that I won free books on the internet, until they arrived in the mail today. I entered a promotional contest from The Brown Bookshelf, a fine blog on, for, and by African-American children's authors. They sent me not one, but TWOOO hardcover picture books:


Snowball by Nina Crews: Illustrated in a cut-and-paste photo-collage-looking style, it reminds me of Ezra Jack Keats' classic The Snowy Day, but with real people.

When the Horses Ride By
by Eloise Greenfield, illustrated by Jan Spivey Gilchrist: A book of anti-war poems with mixed media collage illustrations--looks like paint, pen-and-ink, and photocopies. I really like the illustrations in this one; they feature kids from all around the world and wars from all around the world. It's a heavy subject, but the illustrations and text deal with it lightly in a way that feels honest and authentic. Probably you're not going to be collecting a whole library of picture books about war and peace, but the illustrations make this one worth it.

I'm definitely holding onto these and will probably pass them on to my future niece/nephew!

No comments: